2018 Part-Time Firefighter/Firefighter-Paramedic Testing Process
The McHenry Township Fire Protection District will begin accepting applications for the 2018 testing and hiring process on Monday, October 30, 2017. The deadline for completed applications and all supporting documentation will be Monday, November 27, 2017 at 4:00 PM.
Beginning October 30, 2017 application packets will be available in person at the District office and on this website.
Basic information regarding the part-time Firefighter positions
On recommendation of the Fire Chief, part-time Firefighter/Firefighter -Paramedic positions are appointed by the Board of Trustees and are part-time, non-commissioned, non-pensioned, at-will employees of the District.
The application process requires that at the time the application is submitted, the individual has previously completed the Candidate Physical Ability Test (CPAT), including the optional aerial ladder climb, with attainment date no earlier than November 27, 2016.
Information regarding CPAT and obtaining certification can be obtained by visiting:
- Northeastern Illinois Public Safety Training Academy website – www.NIPSTA.org/cpat/
- Southwest United Fire Districts website - www.sufd.org
- West Allis CPAT website - www.westalliswi.gov/index.aspx?NID=162
- Naperville FD website - https://www.naperville.il.us/services/naperville-fire-department/programs-and-services/candidate-physical-ability-test-cpat-in-naperville/
- Or by searching ‘CPAT’ on the internet
Perspective applicants should note that the registration deadline for the CPAT is several weeks prior to the event.
- High school diploma, G.E.D. certificate or equivalent.
- Legal resident of the United States of America.
- Be 21 years of age or older, or between 18 and 21 years of age and have a minimum of one (1) semester completed and be actively enrolled and in good standing in an accredited college program and working towards attainment of an associate’s degree in Fire Science. For these applicants official, sealed college transcripts will be required at the time of application.
- Residency – legal documentation of residency including drivers license will be required at time of application
- Reside within the boundaries of the MTFPD at the time of application.
- If candidate is an OSFM certified Firefighter II/Basic Operations Firefighter and an IDPH licensed EMT-B, they may apply if, at the time of the application, they have a legal residence and mailing address of a community that is contiguous to the boundaries of the MTFPD.
- Possess valid Illinois Drivers License
- Be capable of reading, speaking and writing in the English language
- Meet knowledge, health and physical qualifications established by the District
- Pass a background investigation
- Pass a pre-employment medical exam and drug test
- Exhibit good moral character, temperate personal habits and show evidence of an industrious work ethic
Additional information including the orientation and testing dates will be posted in October. All information and requirements are subject to change by the MTFPD.